Terroni has been a long time favorite with after-work locals who, for years, have crowded the bustling bar for a meal and a bottle of wine from their extensive selection, while groups of friends and local families take over the sprawling yet cozy, lively main floor. They come, in part, for the cool, brick-wall, downtown loft atmosphere and staff that make you feel like the regular that you are—but most of all, they come for the best Southern Italian fare in Los Angeles. The menu is an embarrassment of riches filled with authentic, regional dishes. Our go-to has long been their classic Spaghetti al Limone. So we finally dialed up owner Shareen for the recipe. This one will stay in your family a long time. Happy cooking.
PREP TIME: 35 MINUTES
- 10oz fresh spaghetti or substitute 6oz dry pasta
- 8 oz parmesan broth
- 1 oz extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp minced red onion
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp capers
- 1.5 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 oz grated parmesan
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Gently simmer 4 oz parmesan rind in 1.5 qt for 25 minutes.
- Strain and reserve.
- Bring 3 qt water to boil.
- Cook spaghetti according to the packaged instructions until al dente. Strain and reserve 1/4 cup pasta cooking water.
- In a large saute pan over medium heat, saute red onions, lemon zest and capers in extra virgin 2-3 minutes until the onions soften season to taste.
- Add lemon juice and parmesan broth bring to a simmer and turn off heat until the pasta is fully cooked.
- Add cooked pasta along with the pasta cooking liquid and return to medium heat.
- Continue cooking and stirring the pasta until the liquid begins to thicken slightly and has mostly reduced.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the spinach and parmesan until the spinach is wilted and the sauce clings to the pasta. Using the tongs immediately serve.
7605 BEVERLY BLVD, LOS ANGELES
OPEN FOR DINE-IN & TAKE OUT AT THEIR WEST HOLLYWOOD & TORONTO LOCATIONS.
BOOK TAKE-OUT OR RESERVATION HERE.