While in a diner, the German nihilists order “ze Lingonberry Pancakes”—except for Nihilist #3, Franz, who orders “ze pigs in blanket.” Actually, Aimee Mann, as Franz’s girlfriend—missing a toe no less—orders “Heidelbeerpfannkuchen,” which is German for blueberry pancakes, but is incorrectly translated to Lingonberry Pancakes by Flea, as Nihillist #2. Presumably because nihilists don’t care what kind of berries you want.
MAKES 15 PANCAKES
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups (475 ml) milk
- 1 1⁄4 cups (155 g) all-purpose flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1⁄4 cup or 1⁄2 stick (60 g) unsalted butter, melted
- Vegetable oil or butter, for frying
- Lingonberry preserves, to taste*
- Confectioners’ sugar, for serving
- Whipped cream, for serving
- Beat the eggs in a medium bowl until foamy. Add the milk, flour, sugar, and salt, stirring until fully mixed. Lastly, stir in the melted butter.
- Cover the batter with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least two hours, but overnight is better.
- Heat some vegetable oil or butter over medium-high heat in a skillet or griddle. Pour a thin stream of batter into a circular shape onto the hot griddle or skillet, keeping in mind that the pancakes should be 5–6 inches (13–15 cm) in diameter and very thin. Cook the pancake on one side for 20 seconds, flip, and cook on the other side for 20 seconds until done. Set the cooked pancake aside and repeat until you have about 15 pancakes, adding more oil or butter as needed to prevent sticking.
- Spread the lingonberry preserves in the center of a pancake, then roll the pancake up around the preserves so they’re tube-shaped. Repeat for each pancake.
- Sprinkle the completed pancakes with the confectioners’ sugar and top with the whipped cream.
*TO MAKE YOUR OWN LINGONBERRY PRESERVES
- 4 cups (175 g) fresh, frozen lingonberries straight from the freezer
- 1 cup (120 g) sugar
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- Put everything in a large pot, bring to a boil, lower the temperature and let it simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally with no lid on the pot.
- Remove from heat and remove the white foam on top of the jam.
- Pour into clean jars and keep in the refrigerator.
Or, buy it from AMAZON.
CHECK OUT MORE OF CASSANDRA’S GEEKY CHEF RECIPES
THE GEEKY CHEF COOKBOOK
THE GEEKY BARTENDER