Crispy Potatoes recipe from Chef Curtis Stone’s Los Angeles eatery Gwen.
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 1 1/4 hours
Make-Ahead: Potatoes can be cooked in water, drained and cooled up to 2 days ahead of frying, covered and refrigerated.
- 3/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 10g fresh tarragon
- 1kg brushed potatoes, peeled, cut into 3cm pieces
- 2 sprigs rosemary, cut into 2cm pieces
- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- In small saucepan, combine vinegar, tarragon and 1 tsp salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature. Strain, discarding tarragon. Set tarragon vinegar aside.
- In large pot, add potatoes, 2 tsp salt and cold water to cover potatoes by 2cm. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook potatoes until they are cooked through and tender but not falling apart, about 6 mins. Drain potatoes from water and arrange in single layer on baking tray lined with kitchen paper. Cool completely.
- In large dry pot, heat 6cm vegetable oil over medium-high heat to 150°C. Add potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 mins, or until potatoes are completely tender and light golden brown in colour. Using slotted spoon, transfer potatoes to baking tray and cool slightly.
- Increase oil temperature to 190°C. Fry potatoes 3 to 4 mins, or until deep golden brown and crispy. During final 30 seconds of frying, add rosemary sprigs to oil. Using slotted spoon, transfer potatoes and rosemary to bowl and toss with flaky salt and freshly ground black pepper.
CURTIS STONE’S GRILLED RIB-EYE
GWEN BUTCHER SHOP & RESTAURANT
6600 SUNSET BLVD, LOS-ANGELES PH 323.946.7500
With the stay-at-home orders, Gwen has been acting as a marketplace. Orders can be made at gwentogo.com and are available for curbside pickup or delivery.
The butcher counter is open daily from 10 am – 8 pm.
Restaurant takeout is available through Caviar, Postmates, Uber Eats, Grubhub, and Door Dash.