This drink is almost as much of a mystery as Twin Peaks itself. Appearing in the episode “The Orchid’s Curse,” Judge Sternwood orders the beverage for Agent Cooper and Sheriff Truman while they discuss the trial of Leo Johnson. The drink appears to be black liquid topped with a light blue foam. The taste is not described, but Judge Sherwood tells Cooper and Truman that the drink will “sneak up on you.” This interpretation features the two most important Twin Peaks food groups: black coffee and cherry. It’s sweetened with Spiced Maple Syrup because nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup collides with . . . spices. To complete the cocktail, create a couple of peaks in that mysterious blue foam. If Coop drank alcohol, he’d say, “That’s a damn fine cup of booze!”
- 1 fl oz (30 ml) bourbon
- 1 fl oz (30 ml) Yukon Jack or other honey liqueur
- 1 fl oz (30 ml) cherry liqueur
- 3 fl oz (90 ml) chilled bold coffee
- 4 teaspoons Spiced Maple Syrup, or to taste, divided*
- 3 ice cubes
- 5 egg whites*
- 2 fl oz (60 ml) blue curaçao
- ½ tablespoon (8 ml) fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Add the bourbon, liqueurs, coffee, and 2 teaspoons of the syrup to a cocktail shaker, along with the ice cubes. Shake well.
- Strain into a highball glass.
- Add the egg whites (see below for an egg white substitute), blue curaçao, lemon juice, cream of tartar, and the remaining 2 teaspoons syrup to a mixing bowl and whip until (twin) peaks form.
- Gently spoon the blue foam on top of the black liquid and smooth out the top of it.
*EGG WHITE SUBSTITUTE
The egg whites are “cooked” through the foaming process, but some folks may (understandably!) feel icky about using them. If you’re one of those, skip steps 3 and 4 and do this instead:
- 8 fl oz (240 ml) heavy whipping cream
- 1½ fl oz (45 ml) blue curaçao
- In a mixing bowl, whip the cream with the blue curaçao and the remaining two teaspoons syrup.
- Spoon the whipped cream mixture on top of the black liquid and smooth it out.
*SPICED MAPLE SYRUP
- ½ cup (170 g) real maple syrup
- ½ cup (120 ml) water
- 2 whole allspice
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 whole cloves
- 2 star anise
- Add the maple syrup, water, and all the spices to a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and then turn off the heat.
- Cover the pan and let the syrup cool and steep for 45 minutes.
- Strain the syrup into a sterilized airtight container
CHECK OUT MORE OF CASSANDRA’S GEEKY CHEF RECIPES
THE GEEKY CHEF COOKBOOK
THE GEEKY BARTENDER